Friday, May 18, 2012

You are NOT Stupid!!!!

         Have you ever felt stupid or inferior? Dumb question right.?  Everyone has.  Maybe you weren't top of your class or are considered to be a "slow learner"  My hope in writing this is that you will make some distinctions about who you are.  You are not broken. You are not stupid.   You are misinformed.   But not anymore.
          As a human species we have a global obsession with highlighting the shortcomings of others.  Some even make a career out of it.  You have immeasurable strength but the odds are you have been attempting to eradicate your weaknesses rather than honing your skills.  These skills are your God given talents. We all have them.  The key to finding and honing your strengths is twofold.  First you must figure out how you learn.  Second you must uncover your strengths and begin at once to enhance them.
            From birth through school and into adulthood we are told to move with the crowd. Be a good student.  Sit and be quiet.  We sit and learn together with 30 to 40 other kids who all have different learning styles and strengths than we do.  We compare our insides to other people's outsides and yearn to be accepted.  Instead of focusing on our strengths we are told we need to fix our weaknesses.  This is totally untrue.  You see everyone is different thus we all learn the world differently.  The world you perceive is brought to you by your senses.  Most of the work is done by the big three Visual-seeing Auditory-hearing Kinestetic-feeling. These are called your representation systems, how you represent the world.  Different people favor different senses kind of like some of us are right handed and some are left. It is easy to figure out what sense you learn with.  Visual people tend to speak at a faster rate of speech and use phrases like "That looks good" "Can you see what  I am talking about?" etc.  Do you see how they communicate with themselves and other through pictures?  Auditory people are slower paced and choose their words carefully.  Phrases like "It sounds like a winner." or "I hear where you are coming from" are common amongst auditory people.  Kinestetic people lead with their feelings.  "This feels right" "This is really heavy" These people generally talk even slower than visual or auditory.  A winning phrase that elicits all three in sales is "Can you see how people who hear about us feel we do a great job?"  This phrase appeals to all three types of learners. This is key to your learning style.  Which sense do you lead with? Do you think in pictures or movies?  When you need to remember something does a voice help you? Are you someone who is led by your heart and feeling?  If you take someone who learns auditorily and show them bunch of pictures you are speaking a foreign language. Mine is visual.  I am heavily visual meaning if a teacher is trying to explain something to me by talking (auditory) I 'll never get it.  In fact I get so bored I completely tune them out.  Doesn't make me stupid they just aren't adapting to how I learn.
               Each person has a map of the world.  How they learn and believe their life should be.  It is the duty of any good teach to enter your map, figure out how you learn, and then teach you in a style that you best understand.   This has worked magic in my personal life for two reasons. 1. I know my learning style so I can learn at a much quicker pace. 2. I do not develop untrue beliefs about myself or my ability. The key distinction between me and most people is that I have done the research to understand this.  I carry no guilt or shame for not understanding things outside of my context of learning.   Many people develop untrue beliefs about themselves and their abilities which carries over into all parts of their lives.    This is a sad fact because I know people in my personal life who've grown up their whole lives thinking they are stupid just because no one has taken the time to teach in their language.  Don't misunderstand me here.  I love teachers.  My mom and sister are both teachers.  The truth is this isn't being taught to teachers either.
                 You have immeasurable strength.  Have you spent most of your life attempting to fix your deficiencies rather than uncovering and developing your strengths?  According to the author of the fabulous highly recommended book StrengthFinder 2.0 their research indicates  "people who do have the opportunity to focus on their strengths everyday are six times as likely to report having an excellent quality of life in general." The authors have studied millions or people with one question in mind "What is right with people?"
                 What are your strengths?  What are you doing to build them?  Do yourself a favor and  buy this book.  You can do so by clicking below.  (Make sure you buy a new copy because each one has a unique code to take the test.)   It will share with you what your strengths are give you permission to become the highest best expression of yourself .   You now have the resources available to you to find your strength zone.  Give yourself the gift and do it.  You will thank me later.



No comments:

Post a Comment